5 Common Misconceptions about Messages On Hold for Business

5 Common Misconceptions about Messages On Hold for Business

One of the more effective ways many businesses have reached out to customers is by making use of on hold messages. So when people call a particular business and are put on hold, they no longer need to listen to cheesy songs or mobile ice-cream truck chimes. Many businesses now see on hold messages as an excellent opportunity to inform and sell their products and services to potential customers. And besides, your on hold message is also great in keeping your customers on the line instead of hanging up in frustration.

Then again, there are quite a few misconceptions about it. Take a look at 5 of the most common misconceptions, and the real truth behind them.

  1. Only big companies can afford them. Nothing can be further from the truth. The costs have become so reasonable nowadays that the industry is increasing its focus on small companies, with prices and packages specifically set for small to medium business owners.
  2. It’s not worth the expense. On the contrary, it’s a great investment. The truth is that the average small business receives as many as a hundred calls a day and about 57 calls are put on hold for about 30 seconds. That’s 28 minutes of exposure a day, or 120 – 170 hours a year.  One survey revealed that 88% of callers preferred on-hold messages to other hold options. They want to hear product info and they stay on the line longer when they are provided with the info they are looking for. 34% of callers who hang up won’t call back again, and that’s why you need to have a well produced on hold message/script. One study showed that 20% of callers even decide to make a purchase while listening to the company’s on hold message
  3. It’s too difficult to do. Yes, you have to come up with an effective script and manage updates as they come because you can’t have the same message playing over and over. But who says that you have to do all these things? You can simply contact a full-service company who can take care of it for you. They can provide the talent and the professional studio recording as well. The script and the concept can be customized for your particular industry, and you can be sure that real professionals are involved in creating, monitoring and managing your on hold messages.
  4. It may not work with your phone system. Technically, this is true, but only up to a point. Even if you’re running a complicated phone setup such as a multi-line PBX or VoIP PBX, there’s only a 5% chance that it won’t work. In the vast majority of cases (that’s about 95%) it can be done. So before you give up, perhaps you need to talk to a real pro. Chances are, they will tell you your phone system is compatible.
  5. It’s much better to just use radio on hold. Actually, it’s not. You may be up for some expensive yearly licensing. Moreover, you have no control over the music programming, so the songs may not be to your customers’ liking. And worst of all, they may be playing your competitor’s ads!

So here’s the real truth about on hold messaging: you need it, it’s affordable, and it can help you make more money!

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email
Scroll to Top